<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Reactionary Yugguns 

I got this in my inbox this morning:
The YCT (Young Conservatives of Texas) have organized an "Immigrant Hunt" for this Wednesday, March 2nd on the West Mall on campus-- they have reserved the space
from 11:00am-1:00pm.

They recently organized a similar event at the University of North Texas.

This time around they plan to wear color-coded anti-immigrant shirts and "hunt for immigrants" who will be YCT-ers dressed in brown for Latina/os, yellow for Asians, etc. and offer rewards.
Here's the site with pictures from that UNT event.

Is it me, or is the College Republican/Young Conservative community getting a little more brazen than they used to be. I guess having your ideological peers in power can light a little fire under one's ass.

But should someone let them know that W. is on the other side of this issue? Maybe this is their way of calling attention to the issue and their disagreement with the leadership of their side of the political spectrum. But if that's the case, why design the protest to be so offensive that it would be politically harmful for anyone with any power to even pay it heed?

I'm not going to harp on the fact that this event is offensive. I'm not a PC warrior and I'm glad that the Young Right is paying enough attention to the Young Left to coopt the practice of theatrical protest. It's a hell of a lot more entertaining than watching a bunch of virgins march around with pictures of aborted fetuses.

Oh. And for the record, I'm not a member of YCT. I took this bit of text from an e-mail calling for a counter-protest.

UPDATE:

I've heard a rumor that the YCTers will be handing out Taco Bell gift certificates to the "winners" of the "hunt."

For those of you who don't know, that's a rather clever dig at the campus lefties who have been protesting against Taco Bell for some time now because they apparently use slave labor (or next to it) to pick their tomatoes.

Is it just because I sit on the left side of things and see things from that angle that I find so much of the "protest" activities of the young right to be more reactionary and vindictive (as opposed to actually attempting to change something "for the better" - which depends, of course, on one's perspective)? I'm really curious.

CLARIFICATION: What I mean is that protests like this from the Young Right seem to me, as a leftist, to be more "nanny nanny boo boo, your values suck" than "here are our values and we will support them."

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?