<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Gonzales as AG 

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

He's not a fundamentalist, which makes me feel a little better about the choice.

On the other hand:
Gonzales concluded in stark terms: "In my judgment, this new paradigm renders obsolete Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions."
That, I think, is a problem.

I felt confident in decrying the choice of Ashcroft immediately. I did so confidently, however, because it came on the heels of a disputed election, and I expected Bush to be more conciliatory to civil libertarians by appointing a moderate to that post. Nobody I know would describe Ashcroft as a moderate.

I am going to give Gonzales the benefit of the doubt and judge the man on his record. I suppose I would do this for everyone (including Ashcroft) if I was a nice person...but I'm not.

I'm going to be nice here, however, and let Al prove to me that he's a good man for the post.

It should be noted that this probably takes him out of the running for the first vacant spot on the SCotUS bench, which he was expected to be given by people in some circles (including the people at the table with me right now).

UPDATE: I forgot to mention Gonzales was general counsel for Enron. Not that such a thing is bad in and of itself...I have lots of friends that used to work for Enron.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?