<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

On Finding a Job 

I spent midmorning today in the office of a very well-respected plaintiff's lawyer in town trying my best to slick-talk my way into a job that doesn't involve representing Union Carbide or Shell Oil.

The lawyer (I'm not going to name him because I dunno if he would want my 2-3 readers knowing his identity) said that things have gotten tight since the tort reform propaganda actually made people think corporations and HMOs are better than real people. Okay...he didn't say it like that, but that's how I heard it. He seemed to suggest that "things have gotten tight" could also be heard as "there is a general hiring freeze except in extraordinary situations."

I am once again flirting with the idea of seriously pursuing the Cushy Academic Job of My Dreams (tm). I have my doubts about whether I'm capable of bumrushing the academic field. Lord knows I can talk some shit and make people like me, so of course I'm still considering trial advocacy if I can find somewhere to do it that doesn't lead me down the path of serious moral fuckedupedness, but today's meeting let me know that any path except falling flacidly off the UT assembly line into BigLaw Inc. is going to be difficult. Well, I'm not a huge fan of difficult, but sometimes it's okay (when it's not painfully difficult).

So the meeting that I thought was sure to clear up my "I'm trying to figure out what carreer path to take and I don't even want a carreer" phase has done just the opposite. But it did allow me to chat it up with a stellar lawyer and get some good (if not too heartening) advice.


|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?