<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Grassroots Organizing 

We have a meeting for TMM (Texans for Medical Marijuana) volunteers this evening from 7-9. I always knew grassroots organizing was hard work, but I didn't REALLY know until this summer. It takes a level of organization and working within means that I do not possess. Luckily, I am working on a campaign with better-prepared and organized folk or we would surely sink.

I find some of the work to be mindnumbing. The research on donors to target congresspeople, the calling of volunteers and the day-to-day grind of finding support in the medical community and from donors are sometimes enough to drive me crazy.

On the other hand, pushing through the floor vote on our resolution at the Democratic State Convention was a blast. And getting to tweak the language of our bill before showing it to possible sponsors in the Senate is fascinating. I said I wanted to see all sides of the legal profession this summer and between doing traditional legal work and working on this lobbying campaign, I've at least got a running start.

I think I may have been bitten by the litigation bug, however. I really enjoyed working with the trial advocates earlier in the Summer. The next step is to try and find a way to get experience from the other side of the "v." If anyone knows of a solid local plaintiffs' firm looking for a clerk, let me know.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?