<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Political Compass 

Passed on to me by my friend Ann (the Yellow Peril) Hsu, this test is supposed to tell you where you sit on a political compass. It's okay as far as those tests go, but there are still some leading questions and problems...

For instance, take the two following questions (answers are strongly disagree, disagree, agree, and strongly agree):

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.

It's fine for society to be open about sex, but these days it's going too far.


For the first question, I agree, but don't agree that such a situation is a good thing...so how do I answer?

On the next, I think it's fine that we're open about sex (agree?) but don't think we've gone too far (disagree?) so what do I answer?

There are more examples in the test (and much more in most similar "tests"), that's just a sample.

My results:

Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49

I think that's about right except that the test focuses on responses to "multi-national corporations" in the economic part of the test, which skews me left on the "Economic Left/Right" scale as I think the free market is often okay, but that such large, bureaucratic corporations are a perversion of the truly "free market."

On the other scale, I'm glad I'm closer to the center with a lean toward libertarian. I think the social questions are much more accurate at representing the answers on the scale than the economic ones.

Go take it...it's kinda fun, relatively short, and less ridiculous than most tests of this kind (at least they don't identify you with a type of animal or a NASCAR driver or something).

UPDATE: I'm also right by where they put Nelson Mandela, which is cool with me...

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?